Almost every person loves eating juicy watermelon on hot sunny days. This is one of the most delicious, refreshing, and hydrating treats on a hot summer afternoon. Yea, it is good for humans but when you are about to offer the slice of watermelon from your plate to your adorable bunny, first ask yourself that can rabbits eat watermelon? Is watermelon safe for rabbits?
Do several bunny lovers have a query that can rabbits eat watermelon? Well, the answer is a lucky yes. Yes, the watermelon is absolutely safe for bunnies but should be offered in moderation.
Watermelon is rich in sugar content which is sometimes reported to cause digestive issues in rabbits. The sugar content in humans easily breaks into smaller particles but our cute bunnies are not having the same mechanism to break sugar. Thus, high sugar-containing stuff leads to diarrhea and other digestive issues in rabbits.
Here in this guide, we will discuss on is watermelon safe for rabbits, what are the precaution you should consider while offering the watermelon to your cute bunny, how to feed watermelon to the bunny, etc.
Can Rabbits Eat Watermelon?
As mentioned, the answer is yes. But we recommend you offer the watermelon fruits in moderate amounts to your bunny. Watermelon is the best hydrating fruit which helps keep your bunny hydrated all day on even hot sizzling summer days.
Is Watermelon Safe for your Bunny?
If you are planning to offer the watermelon as treat to your bunny, no worries, it is absolutely safe for your furry friend. But remember, watermelon is only good as treat for bunnies.
They are high in sugar content which should be given in moderation. More consumption of watermelon may lead to diarrhea and other digestive issues in the rabbit.
Also, the watermelon lacks several essential nutrients that are required by the bunny. So the major portion of your bunny’s diet should be comprised of hay, grasses, and nutritious rabbit food. So much watermelon will form the bulk and satisfy the hunger of your furry baby but will not satisfy the nutrient demand of the rabbit’s body.
How many watermelons Should be Offered to the Rabbit?
Approx 1 to 2 tablespoons of watermelon with other fruits for every 5 pounds of rabbit is sufficient. The watermelon in moderate amounts is a great source to keep your bunny hydrated.
What happens in the case when the rabbit consumes much watermelon?
In this case, if the rabbit consumes more watermelon, it might increase the risk of digestive upset. Since the watermelon is rich in sugary content, it also increases the chances of obesity in the bunny breed. Also, when the rabbit consumes more watermelon, there are more chances that the rabbit consumes its seeds as well which is not so good for their health.
Benefits of Feeding Watermelon in Moderation to Rabbits
When offered in moderate or low amounts, the watermelon will have a beneficial role in the rabbit’s health. Here are some benefits of feeding watermelon to the rabbit:
- It will keep the rabbit’s body hydrated.
- As watermelon is rich in potassium, will lower the chance of hypokalemia in bunnies.
- Along with potassium, they are rich in several nutrients like Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and magnesium beneficial for the rabbit.
- Watermelon also contains choline which is known to improve the sleep cycle and muscle function in the rabbit.
Can Rabbits Eat Watermelon Rinds and the Green Part?
Yes, in fact, the white rind and green part of a watermelon is even more beneficial for rabbits unless these are in bite-sized pieces. Rinds in watermelon are low in sugar content and high in fiber which is much beneficial for rabbits.
Read More: What Do Wild Rabbits Eat
When you have consumed the juicy and delicious pinkish-red flesh of the watermelon, wait before tossing the watermelon rind in the trash. You can use the rind part as a healthy treat for your bunny. Since the rind portions of watermelon are rich in fiber and low in sugar content, thus are safe from a health point of view and can serve as a delicious hydrating treat for your bunny.
Can Rabbits Eat Watermelon Seeds?
Though the seeds in watermelon are not toxic for rabbits, still because of their large size can cause choke and obstruction in the digestive tract of rabbits.
A rabbit is a very small creature. Even the smallest watermelon seed can also get obstruct and lead to hazardous health issues in the rabbit.
What are the Risks of Feeding Watermelon to the Rabbit?
Though the watermelon is safe to feed to rabbits still possesses some risks. These areas follow:
- Sugar content in watermelon: Sugar breaks easily in humans but the mechanism of sugar digestion is not similar in rabbits as in humans. A little amount of sugar can pass out in stool but the high amount of sugar leads to digestive upset in rabbits. Since the watermelon is rich in sugar content, the risk of stomach upset is always associated with the feeding of watermelon to rabbits.
- Obesity: As mentioned, the watermelon is rich in sugar content, which also leads to increased obesity in rabbits which further leads to more health issues.
- Seeds: Seeds in watermelon possess the potential risk of choke in rabbits. Also, they can cause intestinal obstruction. So make sure, you have removed the seeds completely before offering watermelon to rabbits.
- Picky eaters: Like kids, bunnies are equally cute and picky eaters. As in kids, they prefer eating candies moreover healthy fruits and vegetables. Similarly, when you offer more watermelon to rabbits, they will turn into fussy eaters and may refuse to eat the nutritious food required as a part of a balanced diet.
Precautions While Serving Watermelon to Bunny:
- Offer a small amount of watermelon in bite-sized pieces.
- Try offering the rind portion more in comparison to the pinkish flesh portion of watermelon.
- Never forget to remove the seeds as they may cause a choke.
How to Offer Watermelons to Bunnies?
In order to prepare the watermelon snack for your bunny, here are the step by step instructions:
- Cut watermelon or the rind porting into small bite-sized pieces.
- Make sure you have removed all the seeds from the fruit in order to prevent choking.
- In the case when you are introducing the watermelon for the first time in your bunny’s diet, start with a small amount only. Wait for the response from your bunny. If your bunny is easily digesting the small portion of watermelon without showing any adverse effect, you can increase a bit of the amount but not too much.
The Bottom Line
As watermelons are rich in sugar content, can rabbits eat watermelon so they should be offered as an occasional treat to bunnies? Also, never forget to remove the seeds from the fruit portion before serving them to your rabbit.
Following all the precautions and guidelines, you can make a delicious and healthy watermelon treat for your bunny. If you have any pet-related queries, do contact us.