Having a cute cat is always wonderful? There is nothing better than sharing your life with your cat and cozying up with this furry ball. But being tame a cat brings a lot of responsibilities. Several owners have a query that how much wet food should I feed my cat.
It is you who need to determine what to feed your cat. Feeding a cat is not easy. Several factors need to be considered like what to feed and how much to feed. It becomes even more important when you give your cat wet food.
If you are having a similar query, then you are on the right page. Here we will discuss the way how to calculate the amount of wet food to give your cat.
Cats love eating wet food. Many cat owners consider wet cat food as a treat and offer it to their cat as appreciation or reward. But you can give your cat more wet food, but it needs to be within the limit. Determining the amount of wet cat food for one time can be tricky. It depends on several factors like the amount of dry kibble you are offering your cat, your kitty’s overall health, and many more.
How Much Wet Food Should I Feed My Cat?
- Many owners also ask that Can wet cat food can be offered to cat daily? If yes, then how much wet food should I feed my cat daily? Yes, you can offer your cat wet food on daily basis, but it needs to be within the limit.
- In general, you can offer 3 ounces of wet food per 3 to 3.5 pound of body weight to an average sized adult cat daily. But the amount also depends on the cat’s health, cat’s weight, and many other factors. You can also consult your veterinarian for the proper amount of wet cat food for your cat.
Why it is crucial to calculate how much wet food should I feed my cat?
It is very important to feed your cat with a calculated amount of wet cat feed. As per the survey, 60% of cats in the US are diagnosed as obese or clinically over weight. Around 56.5 million cats are reported to be too heavy. Like in humans, extra weight has a dramatic negative impact on feline health as well.
There is an increase in risk for congestive heart failure, infection, skin diseases, diabetes mellitus, and many other complications in over weighted cats. Hepatic lipidosis, some types of cancer, several fatal liver diseases, and complications with surgery and anesthesia are reported more in over weighted cats.
Feeding the cat with wet food is more complicated than simply opening the can and let the cat eat until full. There is a need to offer only a calculated amount in order to prevent obesity in cats. There is a requirement for the adoption of a strategic approach to calculate the amount of wet cat food for your healthy cat.
How to Calculate the Amount of Wet Cat Food for Your Cat?
- First, take your cat to your veterinarian and consult regarding this. Your vet will weigh your cat and tell you the calories your cat should consume daily. In the case when your cat is over weighted, he or she may prescribe you cat food for weight loss.
- Once you determined the allowed calories for your cat, read the wet food label, and read the provided calories. Now using simple mathematics, calculate the amount of wet cat food allowed for your cat.
- For example, your veterinarian allowed for 210 calories for your cat. Your wet cat food provides 70 calories per 3-ounce cans. Then you will need to simply divide the 210 by 70 to determine the 3-ounce cans of wet food you can provide your cat.
- 210/ 70= 3
- It means you can provide 3 cans of wet food to your cat.
How to Serve a Cat Wet Food?
- Most cats love eating cat food at room temperature. They might not appreciate the cat’s wet food after refrigeration. So we recommend you to set the wet food for about 15 minutes. Let it come to room temperature and then serve it to your cat.
- Also, to change some texture, you can mix it with dry kibbles. This will make your cat’s meal time even more exciting.
How to store the cat’s wet food?
In the case when you feed your cat with half of the can of wet cat food, then store your remaining wet food in a sealed container. You can store it in a sealed container for 3 days in a refrigerator. Unopened cans can be store at room temperature.
How to select high quality wet cat food?
While selecting the wet cat food, it is advised to check that it is balanced and complete. This means that your cat’s wet food meets all the nutritional requirements of your cat.
Some complete and balanced wet cat foods are:
- Purina Fancy Feast Grilled in Gravy canned wet cat food: it is an excellent choice that will satisfy your cat’s desire for extraordinary flavor.
- Sheba Perfect Portion Cuts in Gravy Wet cat Food: It is crafted with high quality ingredients and is perfect to meet all your cat’s dietary demands.
- Purina Friskies Canned wet Cat food: With its yummy taste, this wet cat food will make your cat want to cha-cha!
The bottom line
So this was a complete guide on how much wet food should I feed my cat. I hope this article helps you.