Who doesn’t love watching birds playing in the backyard? For this reason, several bird lovers have installed feeders for attracting birds. But unfortunately, it attracts several furry squirrels also. Though having birds in your backyard is relaxing, sometimes it can be frustrating when you don’t know how to squirrel-proof your bird feeders. Many bird lovers asked us how to keep squirrels out of bird feeders?
In this article, we will offer you several tips to help you avoid losing seeds and nuts to furry diners. Here we will discuss all possible ways from buying specialized bird feed trays to easy and quick tricks in order to prevent these furry tiny creatures from driving your nuts.
How to keep squirrels out of bird feeders?
Given below are some tips to keep squirrels out of the bird feeder:
The bird feeder should contain the seed that squirrels don’t like
Squirrels love driving the seeds, nuts, etc that you put for your birds. But they don’t favor all the things that birds like. So offering your bird with seeds that these pesky critters don’t like might help you get rid of squirrels.
Thus we recommend you stock your bird feeder with safflower seed, white presto millet, nyjer seed, etc. These seeds and feeds are less cared for by squirrels and they will head elsewhere for their next meal.
Try to place your bird feeder away from trees
Since squirrels have expectancy in jumping up to seven feet horizontally. In the case when you place your bird feeder, the squirrel can even leap over the bird feeder pole onto your food source.
Offer the birds with seed laced with hot peppers
There is present a compound namely capsaicin in hot peppers that have the ability to burn the tongue. But the good things is that it affects only the mammals like squirrels and not the birds. So switching your ordinary bird seeds with capsaicin coated bird feed product might help you get rid of these squirrels.
Alternatively, you can simply mix the cayenne pepper into the bird’s feed you are already having.
Buy a Squirrel Proof Feeder Pole
- As you know, squirrels are mind blowing climbers. Still, you can outsmart them using a squirrel proof bird feeder pole. These are specially designed to keep the squirrels away from the bird feeder. It generally employs a baffle, a semi-circular or cone shaped deflector attachment that prevents the squirrels to reach the food source.
You can get several options for squirrel proof feeder pole on Amazon. Some of these are:
- IPrimio deluxe Squirrel-raccoon stopper: It is one of the most easy squirrel stoppers. It is the perfect tool to keep squirrels away.
- Bird Choice classic squirrel resistant bird feeder with a pole: It is a complete set of squirrel proof feeder pole with a baffle that is designed to stop pesky squirrels from snatching bird feeds.
Get a baffle
- In the case when you are already having your bird feeder installed on a pole, you can simply buy a baffle to prevent these pesky critters to reach the main food source.
Baffles are easily available on Amazon.
- HANKEY Squirrel baffles wrap guard: These squirrel resistant baffles are specially designed to wrap around your bird feeders, thus blocking out any squirrels.
- Woodling NABAF 18 Audubon Wrap around Squirrel: It is specially designed to defeat squirrels all the time.
Buy a Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder
In the case when none of the locations in your backyard is squirrel proof, you can consider investing in a squirrel proof feeder. You can get a variety of such feeders on Amazon.
- Remunkia squirrel proof Wild Bird feeder: This high-strength squirrel proof bird feeder will help you enjoy the close view of the birds. It will let you feel the beauty of the birds by providing hours of enjoyment for all ages.
- Squirrel buster standard squirrel proof bird feeder: This bird feeder will keep the squirrels away from the bird feed source and let you enjoy the view of beautiful birds feeding in your backyard.
- Pesky-Pet squirrel be gone Max bird feeder: This bird feeder will provide you maximum comfort for your favorite birds and the best protection against squirrels.
Keep the feeder area clean
When birds eat from feeders, some of the seeds fall on the ground. When squirrels found such scattered seeds or nuts, they get attracted and reach the feed source.
Thus we recommend you to keep the area near the feeder clean of debris. So that there will be less chance of luring these pesky critters in the main source.
Create some obstacle
- When the feed source is in a direct access to the squirrel, there will be more chances that they will drive out the nuts and seeds. So to prevent them from snatching bird feed, create some obstacles in their way.
- This way when they feel difficulty in reaching the main source, they will automatically look for some other source for their daily meal.
Feed squirrels separately
- Do you feel that squirrels are also cute creatures, but don’t want them to snatch the bird’s feed leaving them hungry? Then offering them food separately will reduce their chance to drive bird feeds.
- You can offer them sunflower seeds, corn, peanuts, etc that they love. But make sure their tray feed should be away from the bird feeder.
- So when they have easy access to feed, they will tend less to steal the food from the challenging bird feeders.
- Thus offering these cute creatures with food will not only help you be satisfied. It will also make the bird feeders less appealing to them.
The bottom line
This was a complete guide on How to keep squirrels out of bird feeders.