Making homemade food is not only an excellent way to offer better nutrition and good health to your bird but also helps in saving much of your hard-earned money. But before making the food for the bird, the question arises how to make bird food?
Though the dietary needs of birds vary still most of them consume a similar type of food ingredients. Using such common ingredients you can prepare appealing and nutritious food for your bird. This way you can also save some extra bucks.
Birds require not only nutritious food, but the food should be appealing. Using homemade bird food allows you to express your creativity and make the feed look attractive.
Although you may find several low-cost best bird seeds for your bird, it contains useless fillers in a major amount. Along with looking like a mess, it will also unable to offer your bird proper nutrition.
Preparing bird food at home will not only help you spend less on expensive pet stores but will also help you express your affection and love to your feathered friend.
Here in this article, we present you the complete article on How to make bird food. Along with helping bird owners to save money, this article is also helpful for those who love feeding birds.
Tips Before Making Birds Food:
Before learning how to make bird food, we should take care of the following tips.
- Make sure that the ingredients you are choosing can fulfill the bird’s basic needs: The majority of birds rely on similar diets of fruits, seeds, vegetables, etc. Some birds are more prone to get obese, while others are less prone. So first understand your bird’s distinct needs and prepare the feed as per requirement.
- Offer a wide variety of fruits, nuts, vegetables, etc to your bird: Just like humans, birds also require a variety of nutrition. So we recommend including a variety of food items in your bird food. Also, offer your bird different homemade food to ensure proper nutrition.
You should avoid feeding Avacado, tomatoes, celery, onion, garlic, mushrooms, chocolate, coffee, etc to your bird.
How to make bird food?
Following are the steps to make homemade bird food:
1] First select the ingredient
- Sunflower seeds: It is a favorite for the majority of birds. They love eating sunflower seeds whether it is hulled or shelled. It can make a good mix for your feather buddy.
Along with being desired, they are highly nutritious also. Of all Sunflower seed varieties, we recommend including black sunflower seeds variety for your homemade mix. They are rich in fat, protein, and fibers.
Alternatively, you can also choose striped sunflower seeds for birds mix.
- White millet: This is another great choice for your bird feed. White millet is rich in magnesium, calcium, protein, phosphorous, and fat as well. Along with offering your bird proper nutrition, it will also assist them in their digestion.
- Peanuts and cracked corn: Cracked corn can help you prepare a great homemade bird feed mix. Like white millets, they are rich in fiber and protein. Along with providing nutrition, it will make the mix look appealing and attractive.
You can also add peanuts while making food for your bird. It is rich in protein, fat, and fibers.
- Raisins & dried fruits: Though they are a bit expensive, adding in a little amount can offer a huge benefit to your feathered friend. Adding it will make your mix look attractive and your bird will devour this quickly.
How to mix bird food recipes?
After learning how to make bird food, it’s time to learn how to mix bird food. Using the above ingredients in proper proportion, you can prepare amazing bird food for your avian friend. Here we present you the basic ratio for all the above ingredients:
- 1 cup Black Oil Sunflower seeds
- 1 cup cracked peanuts
- ½ stripped sunflower
- 1 cup cracked corn
- 1/8 cup dried fruits
Foods that should be avoided in bird’s diet
Along with the food that should be given to birds, there are some foods which are toxic to bird and thus should be avoided adding in the bird’s diet. These are:
- Chocolate or cocoa
- Fruit seeds and pits
- Dairy products
- Cassava (tapioca)
All these can be adjusted according to your bird type.
FEATURED POST: What to Feed a Baby Bird Without Feathers?
What food items should not be included in bird food?
Several food items healthy for humans are not good for birds. Sometimes we humans with humanity try to feed the foodstuff suitable for us to our birds. But our food can be toxic to the birds.
You should not include avocados, chocolate, caffeine, salt, fat, apple seeds, onion or garlic, xylitol, etc in your bird’s feed.
How to make Hummingbird food?
Many kids love watching hummingbirds. Feeding these hummingbirds is a different pleasure. Buying the bird’s food from the pet store might be expensive. Luckily, it is possible to make hummingbird food at home. But the question arises how do you make Hummingbird food?
So given below is the recipe to make homemade food for the hummingbird:
Ingredients required for Hummingbird food recipe:
- Refined White sugar
How to mix hummingbird food?
- Mix 1 part of the sugar in 4 parts of water.
- Now fill your feeders with this sugar water and place it outside.
- We recommend changing the feeders every alternate day to prevent the growth of harmful molds.
Commercially available bird food:
Though we can easily make bird food at home, in the case when you are busy, several commercially available bird food options are also available. Some of these are:
- Kaytee Nut and Fruit blend wild bird food: It is a rich mix containing sees and grains along with fruits and nuts. This commercial bird food is sufficient to meet all the bird’s high energy demands.
- Lyric fruit and nut high-energy wild bird food: Wild birds require a more energy-rich diet. This commercial bird food is more than enough to deliver them with high energy.
Should we use boiled water for this food recipe?
Yes, using boiled water will help in removing all the impurities and thus offer your bird clean food.
When should we change the feeders?
The feeders need to be changed or washed every other day. Doing this will help in preventing the growth of harmful molds.
How long the sugar water or food for hummingbirds can be stored in the refrigerator?
You can store the sugar water for 2 weeks in the fridge. In the case when you notice some molds growing in it, throw it, and prepare a new batch.
The bottom line
So this was a complete guide on how to make bird food. This way you can feed your bird a low-cost but nutritious and appealing food. I hope this article helps you.